Okay, here’s the story.
I’m going to my sister’s house for Thanksgiving, which will be the third year in a row that I do so. I think I’ve spent at least ten Thanksgivings at her place over the last 25 years or so, so it’s cool tradition.
Since I moved to Germany, I started ordering stuff to have sent to her place. Stuff I can’t buy here, or at least stuff which I would pay a hell of a lot of money for here.
I need new cowboy boots. So I went to http://www.sheplers.com to buy some boots. While I was at it, I ordered a new shirt for my gigs. I was very happy: new boots, new shirt…cool.
About 15 minutes ago I received the following email:
Dear Sheplers Customer,
We apologize, but we have cancelled your order.
Sheplers is proud to be the largest international source for American western wear. Our goal is to make ordering as efficient and economical as possible, while protecting ourselves and our customers.
Our experiences with unsuccessful delivery to some countries and with international credit card fraud make certain procedures necessary. Also, from time to time we are forced to block all orders to a country or region with no notice.
The following are tips for placing your order:
To Become an Established Sheplers’ Customer:
1) Provide payment by bank draft or money order in US funds.
Mail to: Sheplers
6501 W. Kellogg
P.O. Box 7702
Wichita, KS 67277-7702
2) Arrange payment by wire transfer (add $20.00 US funds for bank fee).
Fax order to: 316-946-3646
Transfer money to: Commerce Bank
150 N. Main
Wichita, KS 67202
3) Place a small order by credit card.
Always include a daytime phone number or email address, or customs may return the package to us.
Then, wait 90 days for us to confirm payment and delivery before placing another order.
For Established Customers:
1) Include your established customer number or previous invoice number on the message line of all new orders.
2) Use the same credit card number for all orders.
3) Use the same address for all orders.
4) Use the same email address for all orders.
Thank you for helping us continue to provide excellent service to all our overseas customers.
Please note that I wanted to have the boots and shirt sent to the States, and not here in Germany. But SO WHAT! Is my credit card not good enough for Sheplers?
I sent them the following email:
I doubt you will read this, but here goes:
1. I live in Germany and go home for Thanksgiving each year to my sister in Carlisle, PA.
2. Each year I order a bunch of stuff and have it sent to my sister’s house, where I spend my Thanksgiving. My order was to be shipped to my sister’s house IN AMERICA, so your bullshit email about credit card fraud in sending to foreign countries does not apply. I did not ask you to send the stuff to Germany…but even if I did…do you want to sell me something or not?
3. I have NEVER, until now, had any order of any kind refused. NEVER. I have many hobbies, and I always buy lots of stuff to send to my sister’s place. NEVER. Sheplers…you’ve got a problem, and are missing not only a sale but a reputation, in my book.
4. My credit card has always been accepted. I’m sure it would have been accepted by your bank. If the credit card is accepted, you get your money. What else do you want? (Obviously not a good reputation!)
5. I understand protecting yourselves financially, but when a credit card is valid, there is NO REASON to reject the order.
6. You are assholes, and I will NEVER ORDER FROM YOU AGAIN.
7. Which is too damn bad, because I REALLY wanted those boots.
8. I’m a real musician and I really play cowboy music. You could (if you were interested) go to www.cowboysongs.de and see that I’m not trying to fool anybody about anything. I just wanted some vintage boots and a new shirt, and I’m damned disappointed that you won’t sell them to me. Really. Disappointed.
9. But you know what? I can order the stuff from other places. You won’t get my money, but others will.
10. I’m publishing this email on my blog, just to make a point that you are a bunch of assholes.
So much for Sheplers.